Creative Makers Project
CREATIVE MAKERS: kids’ fablabs for letterpress & printing inspired by tinkering and making (CREAM) is a project co-funded by Creative Europe, a programme of the European Union, which aims at creating 4 fablabs for children, to reinvent letterpress and printing through tinkering and making.
Fablabs, the project’s main results, are designed as dedicated spaces where children, teachers and parents are actively involved in new hands-on workshops which combine the basic concepts of printing and letterpress with digital fabrication and other new technologies. Local test events and collaborations with existing fablabs, artists and makers will also be scheduled, with the focus being on schools and families.
Workshops and transnational training courses are fundamental experiences for sharing skills and knowledge, whose aim is:
· to design new workshops for children, teachers and parents;
· to acquire fablabs’ basics and implement audience development plans in fablabs that are being co-created during the project;
· to understand the business potential and other socio-economic impacts of fablabs that are being co-created during the project.
The project includes 4 main activities:
· transnational training workshops for partners;
· design, co-creation and launch of kids’ fablabs;
· training on audience development and new business models related to fablabs;
· study visits to existing fablabs and local events to test new workshops for families and schools.
The CREAM partnership includes:
· Explora, the children’s museum of Rome (Italy);
· Neapolis, a maker space that will soon create its own fablab in Vilanova i La Geltrù (Spain);
· Labora, a space for hand-on letterpress and printing workshops in Tallin (Estonia);
· National Print Museum in Dublin, a museum fully dedicated to printing in Dublin (Ireland).
Other stakeholders are associate partners, fablab collaborators and project disseminators:
Fablab Muse (Italy); FUN LAB (Spain); Ukraina Kultuurikeskus – Ukrainian Cultural Center (Estonia); MakerLab, Kultuuri Katel (Estonia); TOG Dublin Hackerspace (Ireland); Fab Foundation Ireland (Ireland); Hands On! International Association of children in Museums (Austria).
Also, CREAM involves Melting Pro, a cooperative specialised on audience development for cultural organizations.
Each partner will produce, thanks to the help of Melting Pro, an audience development plan for the new kids fablabs, elaborating a strategy to better dialogue with kids, schools, families and other local stakeholders.
Project duration: 01/09/2017- 28/02/2019